Details of the updated 2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class range have been announced, the line up has been reduced to eight variants that will feature new engines and a starting price of $195,900 plus on-road costs.
The new engines joining the line-up are available in both diesel and petrol.
The first new engine is found in the S350d which is the 3.0-litre in-line 6-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine putting down 210kW/600Nm which is matched with a 9G-TRONIC transmission.
The S400dL is powered by the same new diesel in-line engine in a higher state of tune, in this application, it’s capable of 250KW/700Nm.
Under the hood of the S450L is a 3.0-litre V6 bi-turbo petrol engine tuned to deliver 270kW/520Nm. Both the S400dL and S450L are mated with the 9G-TRONIC transmission.
If more power if preferred then the S560 and S560L will offer the new petrol engine, it’s a 4.0-litre V8 bi-turbo outputting 345kW of power and 700Nm of torque complemented by the 9G-TRONIC auto transmission.
In the AMG S63L, the same new 4.0-litre V8 can be found but the outputs are lifted to 450kW and 900Nm with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 9-speed automatic completing the drivetrain.
The top-of-the-line 2018 Mercedes-Maybach S650 will remain powered by the massive 6.0-litre V12 petrol engine with 463kW and a whopping 1000Nm matched with a 7G-TRONIC PLUS seven-speed auto transmission.
The engines are not the only highlight on the new S-Class model range though as plenty of standard equipment is included. All models with come equipped with COMAND Online with Widescreen Cockpit, multifunction steering wheel with Touch Control buttons, touchpad with controller, THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control, AIRMATIC air suspension system with continuously variable damping system, DYNAMIC SELECT transmission mode selection, as well as the Smartphone Integration package with Apple Car Play and Android Auto, and a wireless charging system for compatible mobile devices.
MULTIBEAM LED headlamps and ambient interior lighting featuring 64 colours with 10 colour schemes will also be standard.
ENERGIZING comfort control will also be fitted to select models. The system aims to enhance comfort via six programs which combine different comfort functions available.
Electronically adjustable rear seats, powered rear side window blinds, an AIR-BALANCE package and a rear seat entertainment system will also be available on various models.
Safety remains a major part of the 2018 S-Class range with an impressive line-up of safety features available. Active Braking Assist, Crosswind Assist, Evasive Steering Assist, Active Lane Change Assist, ATTENTION ASSIST drowsiness protection and the occupant protection system PRESAFE and PRESAFE Sound are all standard inclusions.
2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class pricing (excluding on-road costs):
Mercedes-Benz S350d - $195,900
Mercedes-Benz S400dL - $222,500
Mercedes-Benz S450L - $227,500
Mercedes-Benz S560 - $270,000
Mercedes-Benz S560L - $295,000
Mercedes-AMG S63L - $375,000
Mercedes-Maybach S650 - $425,000
2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Specification Highlights:
- KEYLESS-GO driver authorisation system
- panoramic sliding sunroof
- digital TV tuner
- power closing doors and boot lid
- Burmester 13-speaker surround sound system
- front seats including heating and cooling
- head-up display
- 360° camera
- 19-inch twin five-spoke alloy wheels.
Mercedes-Benz S400dL and S450L
- electrically adjustable outer rear seats
- pre-installation for rear entertainment features
- electric blinds on rear side windows and rear window
- THERMOTRONIC rear climate control
- 20-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels.
Mercedes-Benz S560 and S560L
- ENERGIZING comfort control feature plus the AIR-BALANCE package
- brown burr walnut high gloss wood trim
- nappa leather upholstery
- anti-theft protection package
- heat- and noise-insulating laminated glass
- EASY ADJUST luxury head restraints for front-seat passengers
- rear-seat entertainment system complete with two wireless headsets.
- sports exhaust system
- DYNAMIC SELECT with AMG-specific driving programs
- high-performance composite brakes (390 x 36mm front, 360 x 26mm rear)
- speed-sensitive sports steering
- sports suspension
- red brake callipers.
- Seat Heating PLUS and multi-contour seats for front seat passengers
- heated and ventilated rear seats
- increased fuel tank capacity (80 litres)
- tire pressure monitoring system
- AMG-specific trim including door sill panels in brushed stainless steel
- floor mats
- Performance steering wheel in Nappa leather/DINAMICA microfiber
- IWC-design analogue clock
- AMG sports pedal cluster in brushed stainless steel
- designo open-pore black ash wood trim.
Rear seat focus:
- four-seater layout with electrically adjusting rear seats including heating and cooling settings
- full-length console
- folding tables
- additional 77mm of legroom (including electrically adjustable footrest) behind the front passenger seat
- rear-seat entertainment system
- THERMOTRONIC rear climate control
- MAGIC BODY CONTROL active suspension
- Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound System with 24 speakers and 24 amplifier channels
- designo roof liner in DINAMICA microfiber
- door sill panels with illuminated "MAYBACH" lettering
- exclusive nappa leather upholstery with the Maybach emblem in centre armrests
- 20-inch 10-hole forged wheels in high-gloss polished ceramic.
More: All News